A starting diagnosis

This week has been interesting for many reasons. Second emergency visit to GPs resulting in a drive to the Children’s Assessment & Treatment Unit (CAT) in the main hospital in the next city over. This was at 1840 on Wednesday so managed to catch T who promptly cancelled his hygienist appointment and came home to meet Sqk & I. I had already been on phone to my other Brownie leader apologising as having planned the meeting left her with the Brownies by herself with 20 mins notice – didn’t even have chance to pass material over. Once in hospital waited a while to be seen (busy evening for children’s surgery team) and then there were various other hiccups which resulted in Sqk having bloods taken (& cannula inserted) at nearly 0100 before we finally moved to the ward after 0200. He had managed to fall asleep on me at about 2100 and then moved to bed once T got back with stuff for us both. The blood test was not fun as he was woken up, moved and then sat on Daddy’s knee while a cannula was inserted into his hand. He did scream a bit but then fell back to sleep on CAT bed.

He pretty much fell asleep in the wheelchair on the transfer to ward – curled up round Mummy Duck and cuddling Toothless.

Mummy Duck & Toothless

I did manage about 3 hours sleep on ward – waking at about 0600 when obs started. Then wait for breakfast & ward round – when we were told he had a very slim chance of getting on acute list for colonoscopy so agreed would be better to do as elective. Finally discharged more than 6 hours later – luckily Sqk happy with time on his iPad and I was happy reading @emmalgsutton’s book on Kindle app on my iPad. He was watching some stuff (hospitals all seem to have eduroam connection which is handy when you work for a university) as well as playing games. We ended up walking to train station to get a taxi home … as T was in work all day – on about 3 hrs sleep as well. He’d been into hospital first thing to drop key off as we’d originally gone to hospital in my car and he had swapped to his when he had come back to pack bag. Forgot my keys – and even in morning I ended up with his as he forgot mine again. Funny end to this – on coming home on  Thursday night he couldn’t raise me (I’d laid with Sqk in his bed and fallen asleep) so had to go to Mum’s to borrow their key 😀

Anyway Sqk went to school yesterday – and I went back to bed as I had the expected migraine. For the first day since half term (so two weeks of school) he managed to be in same pair of trousers & pants all day.

So that was our week up to this morning when we had an appointment with local (retired – sort of) paediatrician. Sqk started the morning well by managing to swim length of pool on his back without armbands (very reluctant to go on his back until this point). Definitely been making progress with swimming since T started taking him rather than me whenever possible. I had gone to local Scout sailing centre to check my Brownies in for their Wet Wild Day – very kind Brownie Mum took me and stayed to be there as adult. T & Sqk picked me up and we headed off to hospital. Amazingly we were only 20 minutes late into appointment (local adopters will tell you this is pretty good). We had a good discussion with the doctor and she of course knew the family – indeed she had seen one of Sqk’s birth siblings (who is having a tough time in care) only last week. We discussed the issues that we and school have – I had taken EdPsych report and copy of reports from OT with me so she has that information to start with. Discussed his background and the concerns school has raised. She asked about alcohol and we said honestly that the children’s SW had said no chance but we felt due to the scene the birth parents were involved in we didn’t think birth mother would have not been drinking – at least in early days of pregnancy. Also discussed fact that Sqk has a small head circumference given height and some of the other physical signs of FASD – and she is definitely not ruling it out. After a bit of discussion we decided that yes taking bloods again now would be fine – and she did it so well Sqk virtually didn’t cry at all. Mummy on the other hand went light-headed and hot (I hate needles) but coped. So blood going off for various tests including genetic ones. We discussed the fact that school SENCO has started EHCP process and the support Sqk has at school along with our feeling that Sqk has ambivalent attachment – he does come back to us and know’s we are his parents but still wants to make friends with everyone around him. It is funny how people see this as sweet whereas we (along with other adopters) see it as a worry.

Anyway the end of the appointment was a diagnosis of complex neurological trauma along with attachment disorder. As the doctor said will may very well add more to that – and she was also pleased to hear we had EHCP application already in process. We have come away with Connors questionnaires for ourselves & school. T & I have already done parent one – I copied it and we filled in individually, then a  third copy on joint agreement before filling in the actual one. Let us see where this all leads … hopefully to give us the support we need to allow Sqk to reach his potential.

The following two tabs change content below.


Adopter with husband T of our son Sqk. Approved at end of July 2013 and Sqk moved in in mid October 2013. Riding the roller-coaster road of adoption although in our case it is not as much of a roller-coaster as it is for many....

Latest posts by rh (see all)

Author: rh

Adopter with husband T of our son Sqk. Approved at end of July 2013 and Sqk moved in in mid October 2013. Riding the roller-coaster road of adoption although in our case it is not as much of a roller-coaster as it is for many....

Leave a Reply